Sunday, December 28, 2008

"Thank God I'm a Humanist" - Rev. Sev

Today we went all the way across Cleveland to the West Shore Unitarian Church (my dad is the minister at East Shore UU Church) where my dad was the guest minister. The church is significantly larger than my dad's church and was just remodeled a couple of years ago. It is a beautiful church with lots of cool activities going on and a cute little kid's table by all the adult tables for coffee hour. They also had real mugs for the coffee after church, and for some reason my sister and I were very excited by that. My dad's sermon was one that I hadn't heard before (after seventeen years as a preacher's kid, you often get some repeats). It was entitled, "Thank God I'm a Humanist". It was a really good service, and i really enjoyed it- even makes me excited for getting back to Austin and getting involved in the UU Church there. I liked that the sermon helped to define humanism and relate that most people are humanists along with being theistic, and it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive like so many think. Anyways, it was nice to hear my dad preach again, and I was pleasantly surprised that he didn't use his exaggerated preacher voice that he sometimes uses. It was just his regular voice- i really prefer that one, it makes the sermon more personal and accessible (in my opinion). Anyways, it was a really nice Sunday morning. To top it all off, Elizabeth got us all tickets to go see the Cleveland Cavaliers stomp the Miami Heat tonight. Watching the two leading scorers in the NBA go head to head should be a lot of fun!

No comments: