Sunday, July 27, 2008

Even the Joker knows the importance of hand sanitizer

Last night a group of us went to see The Dark Knight, which was, btw, fantastic. I haven't really been to the movies in awhile, and this was definitely a great one to come back for. Heath Ledger was incredible as the Joker, and the scene where he was dressed up as a female nurse was certainly priceless. My friend (and fellow student), Natasha, leaned over and said that's how she was going to dress for our last skills check off. The best part, though, is when he's walking down the hall in his old fashioned nurse uniform/dress, and turns to get some hand sanitizer off the wall as he walks out of the hospital which he proceeds to blow up. I guess you really need sterile technique for detonating dynamite...

Anyways, on a more serious note, i've been having a sort of crummy day. My mom called this morning and as soon as she said hello, i knew something bad was going on. Trying to hold back tears, she told me that my dad was going to have to be in the hospital longer than expected, and that he would be having surgery tomorrow. It turns out the cellulitis he was in the hospital for, was not responding to the triple antibiotic IV drip. After debriding the wounds and seeing more blisters pop up, they have diagnosed it as MRSA (Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus). So they changed the antibiotics, and since cleaning the wounds is so painful (even with 2 doses of 5g of morphine, he's still screaming in agony) they are just going to put him under general anesthesia so they can do a thorough cleansing. It's kind of scary, and my sisters and i feel so helpless because my parents are all the way up in Ohio. In the back of my mind i can't help remembering that the last time he was under general anesthesia (i'm pretty sure it was just for a colonoscopy) they had a really hard time getting him to wake up. But i'm sure that everything is going to be fine. I just wish i could be there with them, and i worry because my mom doesn't have much of a support system up there, because they just moved there a year ago.

No comments: